Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ANPO

I'm way behind in my blogging... every day I come across something else I want to share with the world - but I'm in the middle of a gigantic move (home and office), plus my pre-schooler son is sick with a nasty cold and my husband is back to work full-time plus. Which helps to explain why I haven't yet even posted any of the amazing material I collected in Hawaii...

But in the meantime, I have five minutes this morning to share one of the many cool things I've recently come across.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me is that the Marianas military buildup is not happening in a vacuum - there is a much wider Asia-Pacific militarisation happening, which is (like Guam) part of a long-standing US military approach to the Pacific Ocean as an "American Lake". Linda Hoaglund is making a film about Japan and Okinawa, and the role of US military bases there, called ANPO. Check out the ANPO website and blog for more info and a long but very compelling trailer...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree about the larger picture, Vanessa. Since the Jean connection, I have been exposed to the other side of this coin, and the perspective, discussions & actions taking place in these communities. I am a bit overwhelmed, but determined to get a handle on this to better understand the hydra with which we contend! Thanks for more connections!